11 Video SEO Tips and Secrets to Improve Rank and User Experience
Even though you have been investing a large chunk of your budget in producing videos, they don’t seem to work for you. So what is it that you are doing wrong? How can you make your videos attract more traffic?
People think of videos as missiles that will create a big boom, no matter how they are launched. However, the fact is that both of them require precision guiding to get the desired results. You can’t just upload your video on YouTube and forget about it. Yes, it will give your video a large audience pool, but will it look professional when your competitors’ videos pop up in suggestions right next to yours?
Here are 11 tips that will help you improve user experience and rank of your videos:
1. Consider optimising your video for different bandwidths because not everyone has access to a high-speed broadband connection and waiting for a video to load is simply annoying. Upload your video in three different formats – High Definition, High Quality and Normal Quality; and ensure that the player auto-detects bandwidth to provide the optimum video experience.
2. Think about the platform where your video is going to be watched. Is it mobile ready? Can it be viewed with equal ease on PCs, Tablets and Smartphones? Is the player compatible with Windows, iOS and Android?
3. If you are embedding the video on your website, ensure that it doesn’t take the viewer to YouTube with an accidental click to land them in the midst of your competitor’s videos.
4. When you are using videos as a landing page, you need to direct your customers to the appropriate link. You can do this through annotations on YouTube or more professionally at the end of the video through interactive choices.
5. Video hosting services such as YouTube and Vimeo are often blocked in offices by firewalls. So if you want to reach out to people in offices, ask us to host your video on a professional video player.
6. Optimise your video for simultaneous views by uploading it on a fast private server where multiple viewers can enjoy a smooth viewing experience at the same time.
7. To optimise your video for Google, make sure that you have an appropriate keyword in the Title and Description fields as well as the file name. Remember that Google reads words to understand your video and using a proper keyword that someone would use when performing a search will make your video appear higher up in the search results.
8. Have your ‘search thumbnail’ professionally designed. It will be the one that shows up in search results and you need it to be attractive for people to click.
9. Make sure that the web page where your video is uploaded talks about the content of the video in line with the keywords. This helps search engines in understanding the content. You can also write down a script for the video or transcribe it with frequent use of keywords.
10. Use Google’s Webmaster tools or a sitemap generator to create a video sitemap for your website. It will ensure that all videos on your website are properly read and indexed by search engines. Most of the times videos fail to attract audiences because they are not properly read by search engines.
11. Make sure that your videos are ready to engage more people. Provide the viewers with options to share it through social media. Remember that search engines also use engagement as a factor when ranking videos to identify them as quality content.
Apart from the above mentioned tips, there are many other things to consider when uploading your video, such as designing interactive menus that will filter your viewers and direct them to appropriate landing pages on your website; customised banners and video player looks that are in line with your business’s branding and corporate style; etc.
Here is a recent video we have created for an SEO company based in Newcastle incorporating the above 11 Video SEO Tips and Secrets to Improve Rank and User Experience. Enjoy
To know more about what will make your video pop, call us now on 0800 046 1499.
Mark Byrne | Managing Director